This creamy cauliflower soup is quick and easy to make, and uses simple ingredients that are easy to find. In this recipe I used fresh dill and green onion to flavour the soup, however you could use any type of fresh herb that you like. Cauliflower has a fairly neutral flavour which means it goes great with many different flavour combinations.
This recipe is vegan, dairy free, gluten-free, AIP, low carb, paleo, low oxalate, and candida diet and elimination diet friendly.
If you don’t have an instant pot or pressure cooker, I also provide directions below on making it without one.
Recipe ingredient substitutions
Frozen cauliflower substitutions: instead of using frozen bagged cauliflower florets, you can also use fresh chopped up fresh cauliflower or cauliflower rice. If you want to get real fancy, consider using roasted cauliflower florets for additional flavour. For this you will have to roast your cauliflower on a baking sheet in the oven before adding it into your instant pot.
White onion substitutions: use any type of onion in this soup, including sweet yellow onion, red onion or shallots. To make things even easier, you can often buy chopped up white onions in bags in the frozen section where you find other frozen vegetables.
Garlic cloves substitutions: if you don’t have fresh garlic, swap it out for 2 teaspoons of garlic powder. Often you can also buy freeze-dried diced garlic in the produce section.
Green onion substitutions: instead of fresh green onions, you can also use fresh chives. Alternatively, you can buy freeze-dried chives in the produce section.
Fresh dill substitutions: I chose to use dill for this cauliflower soup recipe, but cauliflower goes with most herbs really well. So instead of dill, you could also use sage, thyme, rosemary, parsley etc.
Olive oil substitutions: instead of olive oil, you can use coconut oil, vegan butter, or even regular butter if you tolerate dairy. Basically any type of cooking oil or healthy fat that you’d like. Alternatively, you can also ditch the oil completely but I find it helps make it a creamy and rich soup.
Veggie broth substitutions: instead of using vegetable broth, you can swap it out for any other type of broth. Mixing 4 cups of water with 2 bouillon cubes also works great. You can also use chicken broth or bone broth. This soup is super creamy on its own, even without the addition of non-dairy milk or heavy cream, but if you want to make it extra creamy, you can swap out some of the broth for coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, or cashew milk.
Add additional flavours and veggies to this recipe: get creative when making this creamy soup by adding additional flavours and ingredients! It goes great with nutritional yeast, lemon juice, black pepper, red pepper flakes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash or any other healthy veggies or seasonings that you want to add.
Add additional protein: consider adding white beans, cannellini beans or tempeh bacon. This soup is also really good with regular chopped up cooked bacon or ham.
Make this recipe without an instant pot
If you don’t have an instant pot and want to make this soup on the stove, here are the instructions:
- Chop up your white onion, garlic cloves, green onions, and dill. Because you will be blending this soup later, you don’t need to cut things into small pieces.
- Add your chopped up vegetables and your bags of frozen cauliflower into a large pot. Add the olive oil and vegetable stock.
- Cook your soup on medium heat until your vegetables are soft. Turn off the stove and let your soup cool down.
- Use your stand blender or high speed blender to blend it up.
Store your soup in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the fridge, or up to a few months in the freezer.
Tried my creamy cauliflower soup recipe?
Please leave me a rating and review below, and post a picture of the dish to Instagram and tag me at @foodsnfeels 🙌
You might also like:
If you liked this recipe, check out my other healthy soup recipes:
- Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Paleo Beef Stew
- Crockpot Whole Chicken Soup
- Keto Pho Soup
- Slow Cooker Moose Stew
- Chicken Bacon Soup
Or for more instant pot recipes, check out my Lemongrass, Turmeric & Coconut Chicken Curry.
Instant Pot Cream of Cauliflower Soup (Dairy Free)
- 3 bags of frozen cauliflower (1500 g)
- 1 large white onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 bunches fresh green onions (or chives)
- 1 bunch of fresh dill (or any other herb)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth (1L)
- Chop up your white onion, garlic cloves, green onions, and dill. Because you will be blending this soup later, don't worry about cutting things into super small pieces.
- Add your chopped up vegetables into your pressure cooker pot.
- Open your bags of frozen cauliflower and pour those in.
- Finally, add the olive oil and 4 cups of vegetable stock.
- Set your pressure cooker to high pressure/sealed for 15 minutes.
- Once the 15 minutes have elapsed, very carefully open the seal and let it depressurize. Make sure that you don't have your face over the seal when you do this.
- Once all of the steam has released, open up and remove the pressure cooker lid.
- Use your stand blender or high speed blender to blend it up until it has a creamy consistency. If you are using a food processor or regular blender, let the soup cool down before pouring it in to blend.
- Top your soup with additional chopped green onions or chives, and more dill or other fresh herbs.
Disclaimer: This recipe post contains Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you). This helps support me so that I can continue to put out high quality, free recipes for you guys! Thank you 😁🙌