Are sweet potato chips healthy?
These paleo sweet potato chips are! By using sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes and pork lard instead of vegetable oil, you gain the following benefits:
- Sweet potatoes provide you with more vitamin A, Vitamin C, and fiber than white potatoes
- Sweet potatoes are lower in calories and carbohydrates than white potatoes
- Sweet potatoes are richer in various minerals
- Pork lard is a versatile fat: it can be heated at higher temperatures without reaching smoking point
- Lard is high in monounsaturated fat which is associated with lower risk for heart disease
- Lard is a healthy source of cholesterol and is high in vitamin D
- Lard has a neutral flavoured if rendered properly
Are potato chips paleo friendly?
Generally, potato chips are not paleo friendly. The paleo diet does not advocate for eating white potatoes, however sweet potatoes are on the OK list which makes these homemade sweet potato chips paleo friendly.
How do you make sweet potato chips from scratch?
To make sweet potato chips from scratch, you will need a mandolin slicer. With the mandolin slicer, choose your desired thickness and slice your potato(es) into thin strips.
Once you’ve got the sweet potato sliced, heat the pork lard on medium heat until it’s starting to bubble. Gently add your sweet potato slices into the lard, being careful to space them apart. Fry for roughly 5 minutes, turning occasionally, and remove carefully onto a plate with paper towel after approximately 5 minutes – or when starting to brown and get crispy.
Do you need to peel sweet potatoes?
It is totally optional whether you peel your sweet potatoes or not before frying them. Personally, I prefer them peeled but some people enjoy homemade sweet potato chips with the peel on.
How do I cut sweet potatoes?
To make these paleo sweet potato chips, the best way to cut the sweet potatoes is with a mandolin slicer. If you don’t have a mandolin slicer, you can cut the sweet potato with a sharp knife as thinly as possible.
Do you have to soak potatoes before frying?
It is optional to soak or rinse your sweet potatoes before frying. If you do though, It will help break down some of the starch so that your chips don’t stick together during frying, and as a bonus if you add salt to the water, it will help make your homemade sweet potato chips more crispy (allegedly!)…
Are sweet potatoes a good or bad carb?
Sweet potatoes are generally considered a good carb because they are lower on the glycemic index than white potatoes. This means they do not spike your blood sugar as quickly after eating them and therefore help you maintain a more consistent blood sugar level. That being said, it’s still important to watch your total intake of carbohydrates each day to make sure you are not overdoing it and impacting your blood sugar negatively. I try and target about 100 g of carbohydrates a day to maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
Are sweet potatoes high in sugar?
While sweet potatoes are higher in sugar than white potatoes, sweet potatoes are lower on the glycemic index, have more fiber and less starch than white potatoes do.
Do you want to balance your blood sugar naturally through simply changing your diet?
Check out my 1 month blood sugar balancing (low glycemic) meal plan!
I hope you enjoy my paleo sweet potato chips recipe! Let me know what you think and as always feel free to pin this recipe to Pinterest.
Paleo sweet potato chips recipe
- Cast iron pan
- 1 large Sweet potato
- 2 cups pork lard for deep frying
- 1 tbsp salt
- Heat lard in cast iron over medium heat
- Use mandolin to slice sweet potato into thin rounds
- Once lard is hot, drop in sweet potato in small batches to avoid overcrowding the pan
- Flip over occasionally and continue cooking until browned and crispy (approx. 5 minutes)
- carefully remove chips from oil and drain on paper towel
- apply salt (to taste) while chips are still hot and enjoy immediately with your dip of choice!
Tara Klippert is a Registered Health and Nutrition Counselor and holds a diploma in Holistic Nutrition and Health Coaching. Tara helps people clear up cystic acne, balance hormones and blood sugar + improve anxiety and gut health NATURALLY with food.