Tacos have always been one of my favourite meals so coming up with a paleo taco recipe with homemade guacamole was top of the ol’ priority list!
The most important parts of this recipe, unsurprisingly, are the most important parts of the taco: the meat, seasoning and tortillas. I used to buy low quality meat, those crappy pre-made taco seasoning packages with questionable ingredients, and corn tortillas. After getting into the paleo diet, I knew I had to figure out a cleaner way to still have tacos in my life! Like, all the time.
We came across this grain free tortilla recipe (full recipe by Fork and Beans) on the back of our Otto’s cassava flour package, and the rest is history.
We couldn’t find any Otto’s last time we made my paleo taco recipe so we grabbed some Bob’s Red Mill, and it also turned out fantastic.
I freaking love cassava flour. I find it to be one of the most satisfying and versatile of the grain free flour alternatives. Lately I have been making a ton of different cassava flour recipes (check out my chocolate chip cookie recipe).
It’s more than just a preference; there are a tonne of benefits of cassava flour. So don’t just try it because I love it, keep reading to find out why you should consider it over wheat-based or corn-based alternatives.
Benefits of cassava flour
One of the toughest parts of giving up gluten is finding a good alternative. Cassava flour just may be the magic alternative you’ve been searching for.
First off: what is it? Cassava is a south american shrub and the flour is not made from it’s plant leaves, but rather it’s nutty root. The fibrous root is peeled, dried and ground up, creating a wheat-free, gluten-free alternative.
So what are the benefits of cassava flour?
It’s texture and taste makes cassava flour an easy swap in for grain-based or even gluten-free flours. It doesn’t carry the strong, unfamiliar or dry flavour and texture that many other alternatives carry. Whether it’s thickening sauces, holding together patties, or used in baking or breads, it flies under the radar, leaving it’s recipients none-the-wiser that their food is wheat free.
Cassava flour is more than just gluten free, it’s also nut and grain free. This makes it a perfect option for people with other allergies like nuts, people with digestion issues like IBS, and anyone following paleo and autoimmune diet
Huge for health
Low in the bad stuff, and high in the good! Cassava flour is great for people with health conditions like high blood pressure and cholesterol, and diabetes because it has very low sodium, sugar and fat. It carries less calories and a lower calorie density, more water and less fat content than other flours like corn, wheat, plantain, coconut, almond, sorghum and rice flours. It has no refined carbohydrates or synthetic ingredients making it highly digestible, and depending on what else you are cooking it with, making it your main flour can help you keep a good blood sugar level, while still getting a good punch of energy
Cassava flour is a source of vitamin C
While there is much debate about how much it loses when being manufactured, cassava is also a source of vitamin C. This important antioxidant can help prevent cancer and keep your eyes and skin healthy. Even if the processing takes some of it out, cassava is still higher in vitamin C than other grains and root veggies like potatoes, wheat, brown rice, corn, yams and plantains.
Now that you know all about the benefits of cassava flour, do you have any ideas for other cassava flour recipes? I am always up for a good challenge in the kitchen! I’ve been working on my cassava flour bread recipe as well as thinking about trying out a healthier version of Yorkshire pudding.
I hope you enjoy my paleo taco recipe with homemade guacamole. Let me know what you think about it in the comments and feel free to give it a rating!
Paleo taco recipe
- tortilla press
- 3/4 cup Cassava flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/3 cup Warm water as needed
- Mix all ingredients for grain free tortillas together in a large bowl and divide into 4- 6 portions depending on preference.
- Fry in dry frying pan until golden brown for approximately 2 minutes per side on medium heat.
- At the same time, fry ground meat of your choice with taco seasoning (recipe below!) until cooked.
- Add homemade guacamole and coleslaw made with my homemade mayonnaise (recipes below!)
- Cassava flour tortillas: full recipe by Fork and Beans can be found here.
Homemade guacamole recipe
- 3 Avocado
- 1 Tomato
- 1/4 cup Diced red onion
- 2 tbsp Lime juice
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Garlic clove
- Cut your avocados in half, take out the pit and squeeze the avocado flesh into a bowl
- Mash the avocados up until they are soft and creamy (although if you like it chunky, that’s okay as well!)
- Dice up your tomato, red onion and cilantro and toss in the bowl
- Juice your lime into a bowl so that you can pick out the seeds
- Add salt
- Stir everything up and enjoy!
Homemade olive oil mayonnaise recipe
- Food processor or blender
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1 tsp White vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Olive oil Light tasting!
- Put everything except for oil in a blender or food processor and blend on low for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Then while still blending, start to slowly (and I mean seriously slow!) drizzle the olive oil in until it starts to thicken up.
- Once you can see it start to thicken, you can speed up the rate at which you pour the oil in until it’s all in there. And that’s it!
- Store in the fridge and eat within 1 week.
Homemade taco seasoning recipe
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- Mix everything together in small glash dish and use to season food as needed
- Store in a container in the cupboard for up to a month
Tara Klippert is a Registered Health and Nutrition Counselor and holds a diploma in Holistic Nutrition and Health Coaching. Tara helps people clear up cystic acne, balance hormones and blood sugar + improve anxiety and gut health NATURALLY with food.